Top | Kelly Myers
(recipe, Kelly Myers)
This recipe is adapted from one in Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking. It remains true to the spirit of the original recipe, but uses less sugar and no oil.
- 1 lb. carrots (about 6 medium carrots)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2½ Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp. shelled, unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Peel the carrots. Grate them on a box grater or in a food processor with a grating disk.
- Put the carrots in a heavy-bottomed pot with the milk, cardamom, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium. Let the carrots cook at a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. As the milk reduces, you may need to turn down the heat and stir more often to prevent sticking. Stir and cook until the carrots have absorbed the milk. This may take as long as an hour, depending on the width of the pot.
- Remove the cardamom pods. Add the raisins and pistachios, stir, and cook one minute longer. Serve warm or at room temperature.