Top | Salads
Black Bean Salad with Chipotle-Cumin Dressing
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
This salad makes an easy meal when paired with quesadillas or fajitas. When I buy the chipotles in adobo sauce, I transfer the leftover chiles into a jar and store it in my refrigerator for later use; as long as the chiles are submerged in the adobo sauce, they last for a long time.
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- Generous pinch of salt
- ½ cup canola or extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ cups cooked corn kernels
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Place the lime juice, minced garlic, cumin, chopped chipotle chiles, and salt in a small-to-medium bowl (or a 2-cup measuring cup) and whisk together. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, until the dressing is smooth.
- Place the beans, bell pepper, corn, onion, and cilantro in a medium-large bowl and toss with the dressing until everything is lightly coated. Season to taste with salt.
This salad tastes better if it sits at room temperature for a while, allowing the beans to soak up some of the dressing and the flavors to marry.