Top | Starters
Sautéed Peppers with Goat Cheese
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Sautéing red bell peppers with onions long and slow turns them into a sweet and jammy condiment, yummy when paired with tangy goat cheese. See Kelly Myers' recipe for peperonata for variations.
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 red bell peppers, washed, dried, and cut into thin slivers
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 round (6-8 ounces) goat cheese
- 1 baguette, cut into ½-inch slices
- Cover the bottom of a large sauté pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the red peppers, yellow onion, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat down and continue to cook over low heat until the peppers and onions are completely soft, 35 to 45 minutes. If the vegetables are sticking to the pan, add more olive oil. Season to taste with salt and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To serve, place the goat cheese in a shallow bowl and arrange the peppers around and atop the cheese. Drizzle with olive oil. Serve with slices of fresh baguette.