Top | Kelly Myers
Orange Caramel Sauce
(recipe, Kelly Myers)
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- Reduce orange juice in a medium saucepan over high heat to ¼ cup and strain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until lightly caramelized. Stir frequently so sugar browns evenly.
- Carefully add zest, orange juice, and cream. Stand back in case caramel spits. The sugar may harden, with the liquid bubbling up and steaming around it. Simmer, continuing to stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt and allow caramel to cool.
Read more about wintertime citrus cooking in Kelly Myers' "Citrus time."