Top | Salads
Iron Maiden Spinach Salad
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
A magazine article encouraging women to combine iron with vitamin C for the maximum absorption of the iron inspired me to create this recipe.
- 2 Tbsp. rice-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large bunch of spinach, thoroughly washed, destemmed, and dried
- 1 large carrot (or 2 small carrots), peeled and grated or julienned
- 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into slices
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted in a dry skillet
- 1 large orange, peeled and cut into segments
- To make the vinaigrette, place all of the ingredients in an empty jam or mustard jar, secure lid on top, and shake vigorously.
- To make the salad, place the spinach leaves, grated carrot, green onions, sliced avocado, pumpkin seeds, and orange segments in a large salad bowl. Toss with ¼ cup of the dressing; add more dressing until the leaves are barely coated with dressing and the rest of the ingredients are well distributed. (Store extra dressing in the refrigerator for future salads.) Serve immediately.