Top | Salads
Quinoa Salad with Lemon Dressing
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Quinoa is the new darling of my pantry; I like its nutty flavor and versatility. This salad makes a great lunch to pack to work or school.
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 1½ cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green tops only, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mustard-sized jar with a lid, combine lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil with ground cumin, salt, and sugar. Shake until well blended.
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the quinoa and a large pinch of salt. Lower the heat, cover the pan, and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and you can see the spiral inside each quinoa kernel. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium-large bowl, toss cooled quinoa with prepared vegetables, chopped herbs, and dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.