Top | Christmas
Quick Christmas Pudding
(recipe, Le Cordon Bleu)
The traditional finale to an English Christmas feast, this fruit-filled pudding is ready to eat in less than an hour and can be prepared well in advance.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 oz. suet, grated
- 2 tsp. pumpkin-pie spice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup ground almonds
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- ⅓ cup chopped mixed candied citrus peel
- ¼ cup candied cherries
- ⅔ cup currants
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1½ cups golden raisins
- 3 Tbsp. golden syrup or dark corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- ⅓ cup brandy
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Brush a 6-cup nonmetallic microwavable pudding basin, preferably with a top, with melted butter. Cut a circle of waxed paper to fit the bottom and another to fit the top. Place the smaller circle in the bottom.
- In a bowl, place the flour, suet, spices, breadcrumbs, sugar, almonds, and a pinch of salt. Mix with a wooden spoon, then stir in the apples, and lemon and orange zest. Add the candied peel, candied cherries, currants, raisins, and golden raisins, and stir again to mix in.
- Place the syrup and molasses in a nonmetallic microwavable bowl and microwave (based on a 700-800 watt microwave) on low for 30 seconds, or until fluid but not hot. Stir in the brandy, then whisk in the milk and eggs with a fork until smooth. Drizzle the syrup mixture over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to the pudding basin, top with the large circle of waxed paper and cover with the lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes. Microwave on high for another 5 minutes, then rest for 5 minutes. Cool, then store until required.
- To serve, remove the top from the basin, sprinkle the surface of the pudding with a tablespoon of water, then cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes, let rest for 5 minutes, then microwave on high for another 3 minutes. Rest for 3 minutes before unmolding onto a plate. Serve with whipping cream, Whiskey Sauce, or Brandy Butter.