Top | Comfort Me with Apples
(recipe, Ruth Reichl)
- ½ lb. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauté pan. When the foam subsides, add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the mushrooms and sauté until brown.
- Stir in the flour and then slowly add the broth, stirring constantly.
- Heat the half-and-half in a saucepan or in the microwave. Add it to the mushrooms, along with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes; do not boil.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.