Top | Kelly Myers
Pappa di Zucchini (Zucchini Soup)
(recipe, Kelly Myers)
This recipe is adapted from Anne Bianchi's book [%bookLink code=0880014253 "From the Tables of Tuscan Women"].
- 2 lb. zucchini
- 3 onions, diced
- Olive oil, plus extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 zucchini flowers, plus more for garnish
- 1½ qt. vegetable or chicken stock
- Slice the zucchini into rounds no larger than ¼-inch thick.
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the zucchini and onions in batches; add salt while browning to keep the green of the zucchini looking bright. Add pepper.
- Add the zucchini flowers and let cook for a few minutes. Add the stock and heat through.
- Place in a blender (or use an immersion blender) and purée; the soup will be thick. Garnish each serving of soup with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and a few julienned squash blossoms.
Read more about zucchini in Kelly Myers' "Zucchini, reclaimed."