Top | Side Dishes
Wilted Spinach with Bacon and Tomato
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
This is a whole new take on creamed spinach and is especially good when paired with a grilled rib-eye steak. Use a blue cheese from Oregon's Rogue Creamery or another Roquefort-style blue cheese.
- 3 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1 spring onion or ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 strips cooked bacon, diced or crumbled into small pieces
- 1 bunch spinach, washed thoroughly and dried
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar
- ¼ lb. blue cheese, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and cook the onion, stirring often, until it begins to soften and turn golden on the edges. Add the chopped tomato and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the bacon. Add the spinach and stir to coat with oil and tomatoes, cooking until it begins to wilt. Sprinkle the vinegar over the spinach and stir.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the blue cheese, which will start to melt, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.