Top | Salads
Turnip, Carrot, and Gruyère Salad
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
A variation of this salad, called the “special salad," was often served at the Vat and Tonsure restaurant in Portland. I like it both with and without the addition of salad greens.
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 3 green onions, trimmed and cut into long strips (the same length as the other vegetables)
- ¼ lb. Gruyère cheese, cut into matchsticks
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, washed, dried and cut into thin slivers (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are adding lettuce to the mix, first toss the greens in a medium bowl with a little olive oil and lemon juice, then divide between plates. As you prepare the vegetables, divide them evenly on top of the greens (or onto the plates if you are not including lettuce), then drizzle with remaining olive oil and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.