Top | Jes Burns
Charleston Blue Crab Cakes
(recipe, Jes Burns)
Maryland blue crab recipes often include mayonnaise and Old Bay seasoning. But my mother, who invented this recipe, does not approve of such additions.
- 1 large egg
- Crumbs from 2 slices of toasted white bread
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion, lightly sautéed
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- 2 cups blue crab meat, picked over and shells discarded
- In a large bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork, then add all the remaining ingredients except the crab meat and mix to combine. Add the crab meat to the mixture and gently toss. (Mixture should just stick together; add milk if more moisture is needed.)
- Lightly oil a frying pan. Make crab cakes by pressing handfuls of the mix into thick patties (about ¼ to ⅓ cup of mixture per cake). Lightly brown each cake (about two minutes per side) in the pan.
- Serve with the hot sauces of your choice.
Culinate editor's note: You can replace the cooked crab meat with other fatty fish, such as canned salmon.
Crazy for crabs? Read Jes Burns' account of preparing South Carolina crabs.