(recipe, Moosewood Collective)
This recipe yields a delicious butter cookie spiked with almond extract.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 24 whole raw almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter cubes to the bowl and, with your fingers (or a pastry cutter), break or cut up the butter into the flour, until you have small pea-size bits of butter. Stir in the eggs and the almond extract, mixing until the dough comes together into a shaggy ball.
- Pour a small amount of flour onto the counter and flour your hands. Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, leaving plenty of room around each one as these cookies spread out considerably while baking. Press an almond into the center of each cookie, slightly flattening each cookie as you press in the almond.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cookie bottoms are just beginning to turn golden brown. Cool on racks and serve.