Top | The Best Recipes in the World
Marinated Lamb "Popsicles" with Fenugreek Cream
(recipe, Mark Bittman)
This is the recipe of my friend Vikram Vij, whose Vancouver, B.C., restaurant, Vij's, is among the best Indian restaurants in North America. Serve this dish with rice pilaf, dal, and other Indian side dishes.
- 2 racks of lamb, 8 ribs each, or 16 rib chops
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup grainy yellow mustard
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. corn, grapeseed, or other neutral oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. dried green fenugreek flakes (kasuri methi) or ground fenugreek
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Cut the racks into individual ribs; combine in a bowl with the wine, mustard, and a large pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- When you're ready to cook, start a charcoal or gas grill or preheat the broiler; the fire should be quite hot and the rack 2 to 4 inches from the heat source (a little farther away if you're using the fattier shoulder chops).
- Put the oil in a small pot over medium heat and add the garlic. As the garlic turns golden, add the turmeric and cook, stirring constantly, for about a minute. Add the cream, fenugreek, cayenne, lemon juice, and paprika, and turn the heat to low. Keep warm while you grill the ribs.
- Grill the ribs quickly, just a couple of minutes per side (3 or 4 minutes for shoulder chops). Serve, either doused with the cream sauce or with the sauce on the side for dipping.