(recipe, Kara Zuaro)
This recipe comes from Kelly Crisp, the female half of the band The Rosebuds.
- 4 zucchini
- 12 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup bread crumbs, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- ⅓ cup mozzarella or fontina cheese
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay the zucchini lengthwise and slice off the top third of each before slicing in half lengthwise. With a small spoon, hollow the seeds out of the zucchini halves. Set the scooped seeds aside. Place the hollowed-out zucchini "slippers" in a baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, combine the scooped seeds, basil, bread crumbs, olive oil, Parmesan, mozzarella, and salt. Mix with a fork or process to an even but not mushy consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the slippers, sprinkle more bread crumbs on top, cover with foil, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for a few minutes to set. Sprinkle with more Parmesan and salt, garnish with freshly chopped or ripped basil leaves, and serve.
For a Tex-Mex variation, try subbing in a handful of cilantro for the basil, mix in some diced tomatoes or salsa, and replace the cheeses with queso blanco and Pepper Jack.