Top | Keri Fisher
Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa
(recipe, Keri Fisher)
Wait until your local tomatoes are at their peak, then make this punchy salsa.
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 1½ pounds), cored and quartered
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 500 degrees and position a rack in the center. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, both kinds of pepper, onion, garlic, and vegetable oil. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook 15 minutes or until soft. Set oven to broil and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until edges begin to blacken. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When cool, transfer roasted vegetables to a food processor; add cilantro, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and pulse 4 to 6 times, or until coarsely chopped. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Need more ideas for summer's bounty? Read Keri Fisher's article on the seasonal harvest.