Top | Helen Rennie
(recipe, Helen Rennie)
This unusual uncooked dessert was inspired by the compote served at Rendezvous in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1 lb. rhubarb, leaves trimmed
- 10 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup honey
- 8 small rosemary sprigs (about 2 inches each)
- 2 tsp. orange liquor, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Chopped mint for garnish
- Slice the rhubarb crosswise into ½-inch pieces. (If the stalks are really thick, cut them in half lengthwise first.)
- In a medium non-reactive bowl (glass or stainless steel), combine the rhubarb with the apricots, cranberries, honey, rosemary, and liquor. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours. Stir twice during this time frame.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs before serving and garnish the compote with the mint.
This compote can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Read more in Helen Rennie's column about rhubarb.