Lamb Chops with Oregano and Tzatziki
(recipe, Nigel Slater)
Serve this dish with Orecchiette with Ricotta, Fava Beans, and Mint or fresh warm pita bread for a quick dinner.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- 4 large lamb chops
- Half a cucumber
- 1 cup thick, plain yogurt
- 2 scallions
- A handful of mint leaves
- Grate the cucumber into a sieve or colander. Sprinkle it lightly with sea salt and leave in the sink for half an hour.
- Tip the yogurt into a bowl. Finely chop the scallions, roughly chop the mint leaves, and stir them both into the yogurt.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of the cucumber with your hands. Then stir the cucumber into the yogurt. Keep the tzatziki cool until you need it.
- Get the grill hot. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with the oregano and a seasoning of salt and black pepper, then rub or brush it over the meat. Cook the lamb over a hot grill or in a griddle pan. Ideally the outside should be dark brown and sizzling, the fat crisp and the inside of the meat a deep, juicy rose pink. Serve with the tzatziki.