Top | Zena Chew
(recipe, Zena Chew)
This recipe — a popular dessert at Passover, because it uses no flour — comes from Leah Jaffee. For more about Passover cooking, read "Mighty matzo."
- 1 lb. egg whites (from about 12 to 14 eggs)
- 1 lb. granulated sugar
- 1 lb. (16 ounces) dessicated unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lb. (16 ounces) chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. baking cocoa (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large double-boiler insert, combine the egg whites and granulated sugar. Set the insert over simmering water and cooking, stirring, until the mixture reaches 140 degrees. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the coconut, vanilla extract, and optional chocolate chips and/or cocoa powder. With an ice-cream scoop, scoop the mixture into balls and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and puffed up. Let cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes before eating.