Top | Ashley Griffin Gartland
(recipe, Ashley Griffin Gartland)
This recipe, from Mary Edwards, won a Cook It Frozen contest sponsored by Alaskan Seafood. It's also visible on the Cook It Frozen website.
- ½ cup brandy (preferably Spanish)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. freshly cracked peppercorn medley (red, green, and black peppercorns)
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic salt or to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 frozen Dungeness crab clusters, cut in half
- 1 cup large Spanish olives (preferably from the deli section), drained
- Additional parsley for garnish (if desired)
- 1 loaf of warmed crusty bread, such as sourdough or baguette
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Rinse the crab clusters to remove any ice crystals and pat them dry.
- Add the split crab clusters to the oil mixture and tightly cover with a lid. Over low heat, bring the crab to a slow simmer. Turn the crab clusters, add the olives, and continue to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the crab to rest, covered, until just warm.
- Transfer to a large bowl, garnish with additional parsley if desired, and serve family style with crusty bread for dipping.
This dish serves 8 as an appetizer or 4 as a main course.
Read more in Ashley Griffin's article about competitive cooking.