Top | Cindy Burke
Savory Chive French Toast
(recipe, Cindy Burke)
I like to make this savory version of French toast using freshly snipped chives. Serve the warm toast with a drizzle of crème fraîche and a thin slice of salmon lox. A basted egg with a bit of lemony hollandaise sauce is also a good topper.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. chives, snipped or minced
- 4 slices challah bread
- 4 slices smoked-salmon lox
- 2 Tbsp. crème fraîche or sour cream
- Lemon wedges
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Add the chives. Soak four slices of challah bread in the batter for about one minute on each side.
- Cook on a lightly buttered griddle until brown on each side and warmed through. Serve two slices of French toast on a warm plate with two slices of smoked-salmon lox, a wedge of lemon, and crème fraîche.