Top | Chuck Siegel
Hot Chocolate with Caramel and Cinnamon
(recipe, Chuck Siegel)
This drink is a flavored twist on Hot Chocolate with a Milk Base from Chuck Siegel of Charles Chocolates.
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 16 oz. bittersweet chocolate (70 percent cacao), chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring milk, water, and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the sugar with the cinnamon stick until the sugar is dark amber.
- Add the milk-and-water mixture to the sugar-and-cinnamon mixture. Stir over low heat until smooth. Add the chocolate and whisk over medium heat until just boiling.
- Use an immersion blender (or a regular blender with a dishtowel held tightly over the blender lid) to froth the liquid for one minute. Serve in small mugs.