Top | Ellen Zachos
(recipe, Ellen Zachos)
For more information about foraging for knotweed, read Ellen Zachos's essay on knotweed.
- 1 lb. knotweed stalks, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp. dried dill or tarragon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream or yogurt as garnish (optional)
- Put the knotweed stalks, garlic, onion, and stock in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until everything is tender.
- Purée the mixture with an immersion blender or in a blender or food processor. Add the dill or tarragon and the salt and pepper. The soup should be a little thinner than pea soup; if it’s too thick, add a little water and stir. Serve hot, with a swirl of sour cream or yogurt.