Top | Matthew Amster-Burton
Crispy Potatoes with Paprika
(recipe, Matthew Amster-Burton)
This recipe was adapted from Issue 77 of Fine Cooking magazine.
- 1½ lb. Yukon Gold or other medium-starch potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 5 Tbsp. duck fat or lard
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika (also known as pimentón de la vera)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put four tablespoons of fat in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and salt and stir to coat well with fat. Cook, stirring occasionally and reducing the heat as necessary, until potatoes are cooked through and well browned. This will take around 30 minutes, but don't rush.
- Push the potatoes to the side of the pan and add the remaining tablespoon of fat to the center of the pan. Add the paprika to the fat and, when it sizzles, stir the potatoes, paprika, and fat together. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste, and serve immediately.
Unsure about using duck fat or lard? Read Matthew Amster-Burton's column on cooking with solid fats.