Top | Quick Breads
Apple-Cream Cheese Muffins
(recipe, Matthew Barker)
- cup packed brown sugar
- cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- teaspoon salt
- eggs, beaten
- cup oil
- cup applesauce
- teaspoon vanilla
- large apple, peeled, shredded (about 1 cup)
- cup cream cheese (from 8-oz package)
- tablespoons packed brown sugar
- tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Line 15 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar in the muffins for filling.
- 2In large bowl with electric mixer, mix remaining brown sugar for muffins, 1¾ cups flour, the baking powder, cinnamon and salt on low speed until mixed. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the beaten egg for filling. Add oil, applesauce, vanilla and remaining egg to flour mixture. Beat on medium speed until mixed. With spoon, stir in apple.
- 3In small bowl, mix cream cheese, the reserved 1 tablespoon brown sugar and reserved 1 tablespoon egg. Fill muffin cups slightly less than half full of batter. Top each with 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture. Top with spoonful of remaining batter to fill cups ⅔ full. In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients; sprinkle over batter.
- 4Bake 22 to 26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes.