(recipe, Barbara Kilarski)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature. If the eggs are cold, cover them with warm water for 3 minutes.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Add the sugar, a quarter cup at a time, while beating with an electric mixer on medium until thoroughly blended. Mix in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter mixture and blend well after each addition.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake one hour or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then on a wire rack.