Top | Mom's cookin'
(recipe, Linda Marshall)
So good on a cold New England winter night.
I add to this basic recipe. It depends on what I have on hand. Bags of frozen peas or mixed vegetables are always handy.
Adding cooked meat (ground beef, chicken or sausage) makes a nice hearty soup.
DON’T FORGET A NICE CRUSTY BREAD!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, green or red
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 16.0 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 cubes beef bouillon
- 8 cups water (or more, if necessary)
- 1 cup small pasta shells or chili mac
- 2 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
- 2 cups sliced cabbage
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 cups frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery until onion is translucent and vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, tomatoes and Italian seasoning, and cook 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in water, and stir into vegetables. Adjust heat to a medium simmer, and cook approximately 10 minutes. Add pasta, zucchini, cabbage and frozen vegetables and cook until tender, 5 minutes more. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and serve.