Top | Soup
Kale and Butter Beans with Pesto Soup
(recipe, Patty Baquiran-Gay)
I've heard so much about Kale and I've been wanting to cook using this popular vegetable. I had an extra push after the cook up session at Bloomingdale's kitchen in Dubai and bought some Kale from a farmer's market. This is an easy, no-fuss recipe best for cold weather.
- 3 cloves Garlic, pressed
- 1 pc. Onion, cut in tiny cubes
- 1 pc. Carrot, medium, cut in tiny cubes
- 1 pc. Tomato, medium, cut in tiny cubes
- 4 branches Kale, hard stems removed, cut roughly
- 2 pcs. Spicy Pork Sausage or Merguez,
- 500 g Butter beans, cooked and drained
- 4 Tbsp. Virgin Olive oil
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tbsp. Basil Pesto
- 10 pcs. Fresh Basil leaves
- Heat half of the olive oil in heavy cooking pan at medium fire, add the garlic, onion and carrots. Stir until the onion turns transparent, about 3 mins. Discard the sausage skin, add the meat and break it up in the pan. Cook until it turns slightly golden.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and water. If you want the sauce to be thicker, press about a quarter of the beans in the pan with the back of spoon. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the pesto, kale and stir until kale is slightly wilted.
- Add the fresh basil leaves. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Serve hot with shaved parmesan cheese.