Top | Cookies, Brownies, and Bar Cookies
Suzanne’s Fudge Bars
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
The original recipe, in Glenn Andrews' [%bookLink code=9780689106392 "Mood Food"], calls for 1 to 2 sticks of butter. Andrews concedes that a fudge bar made with a half pound of butter “while tasting marvelous, does perhaps have a bit too much butter oozing out.” This adapted version has less butter and sugar, but still hits the spot when it's chocolate you're in the mood for.
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-inch baking pan.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together. Cool, then add the eggs and vanilla. Stir to combine, then gradually add the sugar and flour.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and pat into a thickness of ½ inch. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is crusty but the insides are still gooey.
- If you cut these warm, you’re in for a messy treat. If you let them cool, you can cut them into solid squares for serving.