Top | Liz Biro
Sweet-and-Sour IPA Slaw
(recipe, Liz Biro)
This recipe comes from my friend Lucy Saunders, a food writer who focuses on beer cookery. Use any India Pale Ale you like.
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup broccoli slaw (shredded stalks)
- ⅓ cup IPA
- ⅓ cup sweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp. tamarind paste or lemon-juice concentrate
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne or other chile, to taste
- Toss dates, carrots, cabbage, and broccoli slaw in a medium bowl.
- Place IPA, coconut milk, tamarind paste, salt, and ground chile powder of your choice, in a quantity to your taste, in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir until warm, and tamarind paste (if using) is melted and emulsified. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove from heat and pour hot dressing over the slaw, tossing well to coat the ingredients. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
For more great ideas, read Liz Biro's article about cooking with beer.