Top | Breakfast
Granola (Smitten Kitchen Recipe)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Best healthy granola recipe I've found.
- 3 cups (240 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (50 grams) unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
- 1 to 2 cup (100 grams) pecans or other nuts/seeds, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (25 grams) toasted wheat germ
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil or coconut oil
- ¾ tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup dried cherries or another dried fruit, diced if large pieces
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Combine all ingredients but the egg white and dried fruit in a large bowl, tossing to coat evenly. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl until frothy. Stir into the granola mixture, distributing it throughout. Spread it in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. About three quarters of the way through the baking time, use a large spatula to turn over sections of the granola carefully, breaking them up as little as possible. Rotate the pan if granola is baking unevenly. When it is evenly browned and feels dry to the touch, transfer the pan from the oven to the cooling rack. Cool completely. Once it’s completely cool, break up granola into whatever size clusters delight you. Sprinkle in dried fruit.
- The granola keeps at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 weeks. It keeps even longer in the freezer, if you’re the stockpiling type.