Top | Breakfast
(recipe, Caroline Cummins)
This recipe comes from a friend, who mashed up a recipe from her mother with a casserole recipe from the November 2005 issue of Southern Living magazine. It's basically an easy way to serve grits to a crowd, making this an excellent brunch dish.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Minced parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 11-by-7-inch baking dish.
- Bring the milk and water just to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in the butter and the grits. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes, or until the grits are done. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in all of the remaining ingredients, except for the optional parsley. Scrape the grits mixture into the prepared pan and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the mixture is set. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the parsley if desired.