Top | Radically Simple
Runny Eggs on Creamy Scallion-Bacon Grits
(recipe, Rozanne Gold)
You can either fry or poach your eggs; either way, make sure they have runny yolks to trickle into this dreamy stuff. Dedicated to my dear friend Chase Crossingham.
- 1½ cups instant grits
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for frying the eggs
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions, white and green parts
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 extra-large eggs
- In a medium saucepan, combine 5½ cups water and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in the grits. Cover and cook over low heat, whisking often, until thick and creamy. Stir in the butter, cheese, scallions, and bacon — holding back a portion of the scallions and bacon for garnish. Cook 5 minutes longer. Add salt and pepper.
- Fry the eggs in butter until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. (Or poach the eggs: Bring a 14-inch skillet of water to a boil; add 2 tablespoons white vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. Slip in the eggs and poach for about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon.)
- Spoon the grits into bowls. Top with the eggs. Garnish with the remaining bacon crumbles, chopped scallions, and freshly ground black pepper.