Top | Sharon Hunt
(recipe, Sharon Hunt)
See Sharon Hunt's ode to her father's cooking for more information about this cake.
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, divided
- 1½ cups dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose (white) flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1¼ cups milk (you may substitute cream for additional richness)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Make the sauce: Bring the water to a boil in a saucepan; add ¼ cup butter, the brown sugar, and vanilla, and stir until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved. Return to a boil for 1 minute, then leave the sauce on low heat.
- Make the cake: Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl. In the bowl of a mixer, beat the remaining ¼ cup butter and the white sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the butter mixture; beat well. Add the flour and baking powder alternately with the milk to the butter mixture, beating just until combined.
- Finish the pouding: Pour the batter into the dish. Carefully pour the sauce over the batter. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.