Top | Megan Scott
Cold Avocado Soup
(recipe, Megan Scott)
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes (about 1 pound total)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 1½ cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 to 1½ cup chicken or vegetable stock or broth, divided
- 4 tsp. fresh lime juice, or to taste
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground red pepper, or to taste
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- Thin slices of lime
- Purée the avocado and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Add 1 cup each of the buttermilk and the stock, as well as the lime juice, salt, and red pepper, and process to blend. Chill the soup.
- When ready to serve, thin the soup if necessary with the additional buttermilk or stock. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Ladle the soup into chilled bowls and add the garnishes.