Top | Quinoa Revolution
(recipe, Patricia Green & Carolyn Hemming)
The light, buttery taste of this side dish makes it a great partner alongside almost any main course. Subtle flavor, and wonderfully simple to prepare.
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250 ml) quinoa, well rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. (1 ml) salt
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- Bring the stock and quinoa to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the parsley and stir well. Serve immediately.
Variation: Try a Meyer lemon in this dish. Increasingly available, this cross between a lemon and a mandarin or tangerine results in a less acidic, sweeter dish.