Top | Daphne Miller
Jubilee Grilled Kale with Farro and Mint
(recipe, Daphne Miller)
- ¾ cup emmer wheat or farro, rinsed
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems entirely removed
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint, or 1 Tbsp. dried
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar or lemon juice, plus more if desired
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. feta cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan, add the emmer or farro to 1½ cups of lightly salted boiling water and simmer uncovered until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread the kale out on a baking sheet, drizzle with half the olive oil, and place approximately 6 inches under the oven broiler. Cook about 3 to 5 minutes, until kale becomes crispy and slightly brown at the edges. Make sure the leaves don’t burn. Remove them from the oven and, when cool, crumble them into smaller bits.
- Gently combine all the ingredients. Crumble in the feta cheese, if desired.