Top | Marygrace Taylor
Almond-Butter Hot Chocolate
(recipe, Marygrace Taylor)
It might seem a little strange to put all the ingredients in the blender before warming them, but I’ve found it prevents those dry chocolate lumps that form when you add cocoa powder directly to hot liquid.
- 5½ cups water
- ½ cup almond butter, chunky or smooth
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. brewed coffee
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- In a blender, add the water and almond butter and blend until smooth. Add the cocoa powder, sugar, coffee, and salt, and blend again. (If you prefer a silky-smooth hot cocoa, run the mixture through a strainer.)
- Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Once it simmers, turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour into mugs and drink hot.