Top | Marygrace Taylor
Breakfast Casserole with Eggs and Spiced Tempeh
(recipe, Marygrace Taylor)
Spiced, crumbled tempeh stands in for the usual sausage in this hearty baked-egg dish. Be sure to let the tempeh crisp up in your skillet before adding it to the egg mixture.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing the baking dish
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. fennel seeds
- 8 oz. tempeh, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with olive oil.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, cumin, and fennel seeds, and sauté 1 minute more. Add the remaining oil and the tempeh and cook, undisturbed, for 3 to 4 minutes, until the bottom of the tempeh is crisp and golden brown. Stir, cook 1 to 2 minutes more, and remove from the heat. Let the mixture sit until it reaches room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cheese, and milk until combined. Fold in the cooled tempeh mixture and pour into the prepared pie plate. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes; remove the foil and bake 10 minutes more, until the top of the casserole begins to turn golden brown. Serve warm.