Top | Deborah Madison
Barley 'Risotto' with Sautéed Mushrooms and Truffle Salt
(recipe, Deborah Madison)
- 1 recipe Barley Soup with Caramelized Onions and Pecorino Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 baby bella mushrooms, sliced about ⅜-inch thick
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup half-and-half or cream
- Finely chopped parsley
- Truffle salt
- Make the soup as suggested. You won’t need the cheese, but keep it if you like. While it’s simmering, prepare the mushrooms. Heat the oil in a skillet and, when hot, add the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt, and sauté over fairly high heat until seared and golden brown. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup vegetables are tender, turn up the heat and cook, stirring, until the broth has cooked away, leaving a risotto-like dish. Stir in the cream and half the mushrooms and cook to heat through. Season with pepper.
- Serve in four bowls with the remaining mushrooms on top, a little parsley over each, and a pinch of truffle salt.