Top | Jenn Louis
Bruschetta with Pear, Bacon, and Hazelnuts
(recipe, Jenn Louis)
Chef Jenn Louis, of the Portland restaurants Lincoln and Sunshine Tavern, developed this recipe for the Oregon-based Harry & David, longtime gourmet food and fruit purveyors, who passed it on to us. It's a good one to make with a Comice pear, if you don't have the recommended Harry & David pear on hand.
- 4 slices ciabatta bread, each slice 1½ inches thick
- 6 Tbsp. plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 oz. arugula
- 1 small shallot, sliced thinly
- 2 oz. hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 oz. buttermilk blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 Harry & David Royal Riviera Pear, cored and quartered
- 4 slices bacon, cooked but not crisp
- 2 Tbsp. aged balsamic vinegar
- Maldon salt
- Black pepper
- Make the bruschetta: In a large saucepan, heat 6 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, brown the ciabatta on both sides, then set the bruschetta aside.
- Make the salad: In a medium bowl, combine the arugula, shallot, hazelnuts, and blue cheese. Slice the pear thinly and add it to the salad. Cut the bacon in ¼-inch pieces while warm and add it to the salad. Dress with the reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with Maldon salt and pepper.
- Serve: Place one piece of bruschetta on each of four plates. Top with salad and drizzle additional extra-virgin olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar to taste.