Top | Jewish Cooking in America
(recipe, Joan Nathan)
Zhug is the Yemenite spicy sauce Hanna Levy makes three times a year in jars and freezes. Zhug and hilbe (a fenugreek sauce) are served with Yemenite chicken soup and pita bread. Use a teaspoon of this whenever you need a hot sauce.
- 1 lb. serrano peppers
- 5 whole heads of garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch of coriander (about 1 cup), well rinsed
- 1 tsp. diced hot red-pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, to cover
- Place the peppers, garlic, and coriander in the bowl of a food processor and chop finely.
- Add the hot pepper, cumin, and salt, and mix well.
- Place in a 2-cup glass jar and cover with olive oil.