Top | Chez Panisse Vegetables
Carrot and Cilantro Soup
(recipe, Alice Waters)
- 1 white onion
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 bunch carrots (about 2 pounds)
- 2 or 3 potatoes (about ½ pound)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 1½ qt. chicken stock
- 1 bunch cilantro (about ¼ pound)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers
- Juice of 1 lime
- Peel and slice the onion and put it on the stew in the butter over low heat, covered. Peel the carrots and potatoes and cut them in large chunks. Once the onions are fairly soft, add the carrots and potatoes, salt generously, and continue to stew, covered for about 10 minutes more. Add chicken stock to cover, and simmer until the vegetables are entirely cooked. Take the pot off the heat.
- Reserve a handful of cilantro leaves for salsa and throw the rest of the cilantro into the soup pot. Purée the soup in a blender or food processor (or pass through a food mill), and strain through a medium sieve. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Make a little salsa to your taste with the onion and jalapeño peppers, chopped; the lime juice; and the reserved coriander leaves, coarsely chopped. To serve the soup, bring back to a simmer, ladle into bowls, and garnish with the salsa.