Top | Megan Scott
Pan-Seared Scallops in Brown Butter
(recipe, Megan Scott)
- Several large dry-packed scallops
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- Season the dry-packed scallops with salt.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the butter, oil, and sliced shallot.
- When the oil just barely starts to smoke, add the scallops and leave them for about two minutes. (If your scallops are on the smaller side, this step may require only a minute and a half. Take stock of the level of brownness on the underside of the scallops and act accordingly.)
- Flip the scallops and cook for another minute, being careful not to overcook them. Serve immediately.