Top | Laraine Perri
Swedish Meatballs With Lingonberry Preserves
(recipe, Laraine Perri)
- 1 slice good white sandwich bread, roughly torn
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. ground allspice
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 8 oz. ground pork
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 4 tsp. redcurrant jelly
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Lingonberry preserves, for serving
- Combine the bread and milk in a small dish; let sit 15 minutes.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the onion; sauté until soft but not colored, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, salt, allspice, and pepper. Using the back of a fork, mash the soaked bread. Stir the bread and onion into the egg mixture. Add the beef and pork, and combine gently by hand. Using damp hands, shape into walnut-sized balls (you should have about 30) and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the meatballs and brown on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining meatballs.
- Pour the fat from the pan and add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the flour. Cook until golden and nutty, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in the jelly and the cream; simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the meatballs to the pan, turning to coat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until just warmed through, about 5 minutes more. Serve with lingonberry preserves.