Top | Sylvia Johnson
Ma's Shicken Soup
(recipe, Sylvia Johnson)
- 1 large whole onion
- 1 potato, peeled
- 2 carrots (in large chunks)
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 pkg. Vigo flavoring and coloring (for yellow rice and chicken)
- ½ tsp. hot sauce
- Dash of pepper
- 1 whole chicken, 3½ to 4 lbs.
- Fine egg noodles
- Fill a large pot with 5 quarts water. Add all the ingredients except the hot sauce, pepper, chicken, and noodles. Bring to a boil. Add the whole chicken and reduce the heat to medium-low; skim the surface. Boil uncovered for 1½ hours, adding more water if necessary. Add the hot sauce and pepper. Remove the chicken; debone it and chop the meat. Strain the soup. Return the chopped chicken, carrots, and potato to the strained broth.
- Place enough broth in a small saucepan to boil the noodles and bring to a boil; cook as directed on the package. Add the cooked noodles to each serving bowl and top with soup. Serve.
A pinch of saffron can be substituted for the Vigo flavoring and coloring. This soup (without the noodles) freezes well.