Top | Megan Scott
(recipe, Megan Scott)
This recipe is slightly modified from the Joy of Cooking. It is easily halved if you have fewer mouths to feed.
- 4 medium ripe peaches, preferably freestone
- ½ cup orange juice, not from concentrate
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Halve and pit the peaches. Place them, pitted side up, in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Combine the orange juice and confectioner's sugar and pour the mixture over the peaches.
- In a food processor, pulse the almonds, brown sugar, and orange zest until the almonds are finely chopped but not a powder. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Divide this mixture between the peaches, mounding it on top of them.
- Bake until the peaches are very soft, the pan juices have thickened, and the almond mixture is browned, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm with a little heavy cream.