Mexican Brown Rice with Pinto Beans
(recipe, Cynthia Lair)
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ onion, diced fine
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1¾ to 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste or sauce
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- Heat oil in a 2-quart pot. Add cumin and chili powder and sauté for a few seconds. Add onion and salt and continue cooking until onion is soft. Add rice and stir well to coat. Add water and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until all of the water is absorbed (about 40 minutes).
- Serve warm, alongside the cooked pinto beans.
Garnish this dish with salsa, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and lime. Serve with warmed tortillas if you like.