Top | The New Basics Cookbook
Mary Emmerling's Chicken Barbecue
(recipe, Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins)
We marvel at Mary — her taste superb, her eye for American country antiques unquestionable, and her passion relentless. She has taught America a great deal about style as she traveled from one coast to the other writing, photographing, and searching for artisans.
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. dry white wine or dry sherry
- 2 Tbsp. minced scallions (green onions)
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 chicken (2½ to 3 pounds), well rinsed, patted dry, and quartered
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl, and mix well.
- Rinse the chicken pieces well and pat them dry. Place them in the bowl, and toss to coat with the marinade. Cover, refrigerate, and marinate at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare hot coals for grilling. Grill the chicken over medium-hot coals, until the juices run clear when the meat is pricked with a fork, 15 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.