Top | Breakfast
(recipe, Jennifer Nordmark)
Fair warning here - this one uses a lot of pans! But it's tasty, and altogether pretty easy.
- 4 Tbsp. butte, divided
- 1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt & pepper
- ⅛ tsp. grated nutmeg (eyeball it)
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 large eggs
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices deli swiss cheese
- chopped parsley, chives, scallions for garnish
- Place a small pot over medium low heat and melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and cook one minute or so. Whisk in the milk and bring to a bubble, then drop the heat to low. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and dijon. When sauce coats the back of a spoon, turn off the heat.
- Heat one tablespoon of butter in each of two medium nonstick skillets, both over medium low heat. Once the butter melts, add the two eggs to one of the pans, and don't let the egg white touch. Place two slices of bread in the other skillet, toast lightly on the first side then flip them both. Top the bread liberally with sauce, and add 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese to each piece of bread. Use a spatula to transfer the cooked eggs to the tops of the open-faced sandwiches. Cover the pan and turn off heat, let stand for five minutes to allow the cheese to melt and the sauce and eggs to set.
- Top any leftover sauce over the eggs before garnishing.